Monday, July 6, 2009

Ginger Steak Salad

I met Patient Friend for a pedicure after work which was much needed after my weekend of watching movies and not going running.

Again, shifty eyes.

After a reeeeally boring day of eating for dinner tonight I decided to make this recipe from PW for Ginger Steak Salad. I made the marinade and the dressing last night and used bagged salad greens, so all I had to do tonight was grill the steak! The marinade and dressing are pretty similar and involve a combination of soy sauce, olive oil, garlic, lime juice, ginger root, jalapeno and a dash of sugar. Yummm. I love anything with ginger and this was the first time I'd used fresh ginger root.

I also decided to use my cast iron skillet for the first time since the wedding to grill the steak. It didn't get as seared on the outside as I would have liked, but otherwise came out great!


Now I just have to figure out how to clean this thing...

I cooked the steak about a minute and a half on each side and the steak was about 3/4 in thick. Don is a freak though who likes his steak medium well (I know, I know - it's embarrassing, really), so I kept his on for another 30 seconds on each side. After I took the steak out of the skillet, I sliced it, threw it on the salad greens and was done!


For anyone keeping score, if you make the dressing according to the recipe for two people it's a splurge at about 180 calories per serving. (Two tablespoons of sugar seemed like a lot though and next time, I'll try cutting out half of it. And save an extra 50 calories per serving.) I had half of my 5 oz steak for about 280 calories and about 30 calories worth of salad greens. Total for dinner was approximately 490 calories! Here's the rest of my day of eating, just for laughs.

B - mini bagel, cream cheese, coffee creamer - 195
S - apple - 80
L - leftover chicken bake - 390
S - fat/sugar free pudding - 80
D - ginger steak salad - 490

TOTAL: 1,235

Perfect! AND I'm not even having a glass of wine tonight. *pats back*

Run tomorrow morning (for real this time) at 5am! Off to get ready for bed.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I suck at making steak!

    We aren't having any wine this week because Brandon is on meds. Sad face. I miss wine already.

    ReplyDelete